Home > I'm in business > Goodbye to Asos
Goodbye to Asos
Posted on Saturday, February 4, 2012 by Unknown
![]() |
| Amazing Marylin image found via we heart it here, please let me know where the original comes from if you know. |
So I decided to close our Asos boutique the other day after a lot of deliberating. Sometimes you just gotta walk away when things aren't working.
I loved being there and being part of the ASOS marketplace which is exciting and cool and inspiring and full of amazing boutiques.
The downside was that my business is in making for individuals. It's personal and I love it that I get to talk to you and discuss everything about your dress along the way. I couldn't do this in the same way on Asos.
I couldn't grab customers like I do with my own online boutique or etsy and get you to check your measurements before I send the dress out and then tweak it so you get a perfect fit. My dresses are Fifties fitted with no stretch, so risking the 10 when you're a 12 really didn't work out in the same way as jersey dresses.
Even when I did manage to check, the customers were a little 'get it to me quick, don't worry about the measurements, I'm usually a 10' unlike Etsy where you guys all seem to know your measurements like the back of your hand. Standard sizing is a minefield, personally knowing my numbers are vital when I buy online.
We all expect different things from different shops, I expect something fast from Asos and I want it yesterday. With Etsy I can wait weeks patiently.
70% of the dresses were fine but I was super sore about those dresses that came back. I know in retail this is expected but it's like someone sending your kid back from school for me! And when you have to pay a big chunk of the tag price for it, it really hurts finacially too.
My lesson, really check out how an online retail sitiuation will work for your product however cool and perfect it looks. It's sensible suit versus wanting to be part of the cool crowd here. Ask yourself ......
How do the messaging systems work and can you commincate clearly with your customer how you want to?
Can you link to your website, social networks, blog etc to further promote your brand?
Can you present your product and information just as you need to?
Can you factor in commisons and keep all your price points the same on various sites and brick and mortar shops?
How will it work for you?
So goodbye, I still love you Asos. It's not you, it's me, we just didn't work out x
Category Article alexandra king, ASOS, asos marketplace, boutiques online, goodbye, I'm in business
